Re: Clamav

From: "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 2010/April/16 16:50

> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 13:39 -0700, jdow wrote:
>> 1) I have seen at least one active exploit, I fortunately recognized
>> myself, for Linux in my <mumble> years with computers. (longer than
>> yours, sonny, although I took a 6 year hiatus in there. {^_-}) (Even
>> my beloved Amiga (made some money off that system) had online
>> exploits.)
>
> What has this got to so with viruses? Are any of the exploits you
> mention communicable by virus? Every one I've seen so far requires the
> attacker to be physically sitting in front of a system console.

I don't care how malware is transmitted, if it can infect the machine
I want it discovered and eliminated. Perhaps a better term would be
anti-malware. So focusing minutely on virus alone is silly and
tendentious on your part.

>> 2) Some of us live on mixed networks. Open Sores does NOT pay for my
>> bread, water, and roof, let alone any recreation. So I have Windows
>> machines around. ClamAV is handy to have in the Linux machine, which
>> is the master server for the system.
>
> Which is exactly what I said, if you care to re-read my earlier post.

You also said Linux machines were perfectly safe. And I reacted by
saying I don't believe that. Active exploits exist for Linux. Some are
transmitted by email and activated in one of the more or less standard
ways.

People said MacOS was perfectly safe, too. Once attention turned to
them the exploits started flowing.

As a little point of interest, why do I see many times as many updates
for Linux come down the pike as compared to Windows? If I turned off
automatic updates how long before I had problems?

<shrug> You have your machines to deal with. I have mine.

{^_^}