Re: Printer IDs in Fedora 13: your help is neeeded!

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you probably know, Fedora 13 has a new automatic printer driver
> installation feature[1], but for the automatic printer driver
> installation to work properly we need your Device IDs! Many IDs are
> missing for current printers, and some existing IDs are incorrect.
>
> Everyone can help fix this by following the instructions in the test
> day page.[2] You don't need a Rawhide installation to provide useful
> feedback, just a nightly live image[3] will do. Alternatively, you can
> also determine missing IDs with your own installation of Fedora 11 and
> 12 by following the steps outlined in Tim Waugh's blog[4].
>
> Thanks in advance for contributing
>
> Gianluca
>

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AutomaticPrintDriverInstallation
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
> [3] http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/
> [4] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

I followed [4], and got the following:

Examining connected devices
No Device IDs available.

In [1] its states "Start with the relevant driver package for your
printer *not* installed and the printer disconnected. " specifically
for USB printers.  I use two network printers and their drivers are
installed.  Does this matter?

"lpinfo -l -v" does not list the printers I use, but does list others,
but with no device IDs:

Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.191
        class = network
        info = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
        make-and-model = HP LaserJet 4050 Series
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = socket://172.26.33.192
        class = network
        info = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
        make-and-model = Xerox WorkCentre 5638 v1 Multifunction System
        device-id =
        location = machine location not set

What would you like me to do?