Re: eSATA removable drive

On 04/06/2010 02:08 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: John Austin<ja@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> | Hi
> |
> | I have used hotplug hard drives for some time but never used eject
>
> What do you do to safely remove the disk?  Surely unmount and swapoff,
> as applicable, but how do you tell the system that the actual drive is
> going away?
>
> That's what I use "eject" for in several cases (USB mass storage, CD,
> DVD).  I figure that it should work for eSATA.  As I mentioned, I get
> the message:
>      eject: device "/dev/sdi" doesn't have a removable or hotpluggable flag
>
> | Try to sort it out as root and then move on to a normal user
>
> Good advice.  I am using root for now.
>
> | What does mount show when the disk is plugged in?
> | It should be showing /dev/sdix I believe not /dev/sdi
>
> That is the case: x is the number of the partition.
>
> Mount works.  The drive works.  It's the unplugging that I'm feeling
> nervous about.
>
> "Just unplugging" will surely work, but it seems wrong.  The device
> driver ought to feel unhappy (perhaps only in my model of the
> universe).

The problem is that the controller you've plugged into (the one on
the motherboard) is not designed for "hotswap" devices.  It's expecting
a hard-installed drive and thus doesn't have the eject support NOR does
it have necessary power supply glitch protection since it's expecting
its drives to be on the same power supply the motherboard is using.

It is VERY dangerous to simply connect a motherboard connector to the
outside world unless it was actually intended for it.  In your case,
it is quite possible to blow your motherboard if there's an adequate
ground loop between your computer and the power supply feeding the
eSATA drive.  An actual eSATA (external SATA) port IS designed for
hotswap and has the requisite protection.  THOU HAST BEEN WARNED!

> The drive actually has eSATA and USB ports.  When I connect via USB,
> eject works fine.

USB is expected to be plugged and unplugged ad infinitum, consequently
it has the necessary power protection and knows about eject.