Re: eSATA removable drive

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 15:23 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I have an eSATA external hard drive case.  I want to hotplug / unplug it.
>
> My system is Fedora 11.
>
> I added an external eSATA port on my desktop computer by adding a bracket
> (with an internal cable connected to one of the ordinary SATA sockets on
> the motherboard.)
>
> The SATA controller is an intel ICH9R.  To make hotplug work, I needed
> to go the computer's BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI (it was
> IDE).
>
> I can now hotplug the drive.
>
> I cannot unplug the drive.  If I tell the system to eject the drive,
> it complains:
>
>     # eject /dev/sdi
>     eject: device "/dev/sdi" doesn't have a removable or hotpluggable flag
>     # cat /sys/block/sdi/removable
>     0
> (I don't know where or what a hotpluggable flag is.)
>
> I guess that makes sense: the system doesn't know that I added an
> eSATA bracket.
>
> What are the reasonable ways to tell the system that that SATA port is
> an eSATA port and should allow for hotplugging/unplugging?
>
> My guess is some kind of HAL rule but I'm not an initiate.  Maybe
> something in here would work:
>   <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices>
>
> Surely lots of people have already encountered this issue.  If so,
> there ought to be a non-wizard way to handle it.
Hi

I have used hotplug hard drives for some time but never used eject

Try to sort it out as root and then move on to a normal user

What does mount show when the disk is plugged in?
It should be showing /dev/sdix I believe not /dev/sdi

umount should be working for root but not for a normal user

Brute force enabling of a normal user to mount a hotplug ext disk
For F11
I edited /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf to permit "everybody" to mount
<config version="0.1">
<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
    <return result="yes"/>
</match>
</config>

 or even worse

nedit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf Let root and ja do anything !!!!
<config version="0.1">
<match user="root|ja">
             <return result="yes"/>
           </match>
</config>

These hacks have changed for F12 !

I am using KDM and XFCE and gnome is installed so what is controlling
udev/hal type things is a mystery to me !

With the hacks above for a normal user the disks get mounted and the
Thunar file manager is opened automatically

However I use pcmanfm to unmount external eSATA disk partitions as they
are all shown in the file manager side panel

John