Re: Grub-Menu takes ~30s to appear :/

--- On Mon, 4/5/10, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since upgrading my old P4 based Laptop from Fedora-10 to
> Fedora-11 the
> bootloader takes a very long time to start.
> I later upgraded to Fedora 12 (because of improvements in
> the nouveau
> driver) but that didn't help.
> HDD is set to first boot device in BIOS.
>
> It takes about ~30-60s for grub's menu to appear,
> everything else
> works like expected.
> I already re-installed grub successfully, but no change :/
>
> Any idea what could be the problem?

IIRC, on older notebooks, there was a default time delay in the boot process (setting in BIOS, I think) that allowed the hard drive time to spin up to full speed before being accessed.

I have a 10 year old IBM Thinkpad 240X (500MHz P4, dual boot W2k & Debian Etch), and it does the same thing whether it's running off the battery or AC.  After grub loads, boot proceeds normally.

This may not be your problem, but it should be examined in any case.