Re: Windows partition?

On 04/01/2010 10:14 AM, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to install XP using qemu for almost 24 hours now. I
> have one specific task that I need XP for (Winforms design). I can't get
> Visual C# 2005 to work under Wine or Crossover Office so I need to get
> something working.
>
> I have a shed load of space on a secondary drive, so I was thinking of
> making a 20Gb partition on it (as FAT32), booting from an XP disc and
> installing onto there.
>
> I don't know if it will be a problem installing to a secondary drive
> rather than primary, so advise is needed here. Is it safe to do this or
> am I going to trash things by doing it?

I have Windows XP running under Virtualbox on my laptop (no
virtualization assist on the chip), as well as on my desktop. I have
used both KVM as well as Virtualbox (as I do present Virtualization on
the Desktop) to several Boston area user groups. My primary need for
running Windows was so that my wife could run RealPlayer superpass.
While there is a Linux native Realplayer, the authentication requires
MSIE, and the most recent realplayer that works under WINE or Crossover
Office is version 8). In my case, sound is mandatory, and I have had
success with both Virtualbox (64-bit) and KVM.  There are very few
reasons you need to run Windows native. If you do not have
virtualization enabled on your mother board, then I would strongly
suggest that you try Virtualbox. If you do have virtualization support
both in the CPU and the BIOS, then KVM is an excellent option.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix