Re: How to Update Firefox with Fedora 12 and use Firefox's " Check for Updates"?

On 31 March 2010 10:24, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 March 2010, Suvayu Ali wrote:

>>> So while the argument about FF may be valid to some purists, it is not
>>> valid for the true believers in rpm.
>>>
>>> FWIW, FF-3.6.2 from mozilla hasn't appeared to interfere with anything.
>>> It Just Works(TM) ANAICT.
>>
>>Try something with java, maybe something like this[1] java based web
>>conferencing client?
>>
>>[1]http://evo.caltech.edu
>
> And that doesn't work, even after I downloaded and install jre-6u19, I has
> 6u18 before, and restarted FF.
>
> FWIW, although the libjavaplugin.so is simlinked all the way back to
> /usr/java/latest/lib/libjavaplugin.so, and the simlinks are all reported as
> good my both mc and ls -l, it doesn't show in the FF about:plugins
>
> The video tuts work just fine though.
>
> What does this application do, and why should I be concerned that it cannot
> detect the latest jre available as being installed?

My point was FF 3.6.* has some unresolved issues with java. I'm
forgetting the exact nature of the problems but it has been discussed
on this list about the time FF 3.6 was released.

That particular application is an open source web collaboration tool
which was meant to be an example of the java problems I mentioned
earlier. FWIW this works just fine on FF 3.5.* hence my statement
newer doesn't always mean better.

> --
> Cheers, Gene

Cheers,