Re: ogm video

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 21:24 +1030, Tim wrote:
> The latter may be a bit hard when dealing with Windows files, as that
> platform is lagging behind in using 64-bit.

>From what I have seen, 2008 may be the last server version of windows
with a 32-bit version of the os, so I guess app vendors should hurry up
getting their 64-bit support done... I am not 100% certain about this, I
once saw a matrix hinting that 32-bit apps would have to run in 32-bit
compatibility mode in future server operating systems.

If they are killing 32-bit server support now, how long until they do
the same for desktop? Especially since 32-bit windows can't really use
more memory than 3GB.

My guess is that microsoft will drop 32-bit versions of windows very
soon. After all, both the OS and the apps have always been memory hogs.
That will not change. For Vista you really need more memory than the
32-bit version can handle.

The relevant question for this list would be: Can we use 64-bit windows
codecs with our 64-bit linux apps?

birger