Re: ogm video

On Monday 29 March 2010 02:14 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2010 21:11:21 Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Monday 29 March 2010 12:48 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> Third, it seems that you are running 64bit arch, which might present
>>> itself as a tad little problem, since the .dll file is 32bit and will
>>> not work in your environment. What you need to do is to
>>
>> I think this is unnecesary. to run 32 bit codecs on a 64 bit machine
>> putiing them in /usr/lib/codecs should be enough. Similarly the 64 bit
>> codecs go into /usr/lib64/codecs
>>
>>> $ ls /usr/lib/codecs/ |grep -cE 'dll|so'
>>> 82
>>> $ ls /usr/lib64/codecs/ |grep -cE 'dll|so'
>>> 3
>
> Well, as you can see, the list of codecs in the two directories is hardly
> equivalent. AFAIK, in general 32bit plugins don't usually interoperate well
> with 64bit apps (think firefox, nspluginwrapper, flash-plugin, etc.). As for
> mplayer, I remember that this didn't work before and was generally considered
> unfixable, so I guess today is still the same.
>
> But theory aside, I did an experiment --- downloaded one of the sample files
> from http://www.on2.com/index.php?617 , played no problem using mplayer.i686,
> while getting exactly the same error as the OP using mplayer.x86_64. In both
> cases all relevant codec files are in both /usr/lib/codecs/ and
> /usr/lib64/codecs/.
>
> I would really like to know about your setup if you are able to play any of
> those files using 64bmplayer  -codecs-fileit mplayer.

You were right, I could only get audio even with `mplayer  -codecs-file
/path/to/codec'. I tried the codec from my windows install with the same
result. However I think even the windows codec was 32-bit as the path
was %SYSTEM%/SysWOW64/vp7vfw.dll.

This raises a question, is it possible to use the 32-bit binary codecs
if mplayer was compiled with the proper `./configure' options or
expecting something like that is completely unreasonable? If this is
possible a bugzilla with rpmfusion would do the trick. ;)

--
Suvayu