Re: log in through root

On 10-03-28 16:24:39, Rick Sewill wrote:
> It was Norton anti-virus...and I updated to the latest patches.
> I updated Windows to the latest patches.
> I updated IE to IE 8, hoping that would slow down problems.
>
> Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head.
> Took her only a few days to get infected again.
>
> She told me she was visiting hundreds of web sites looking for
> pictures.  I don't think any anti-virus apps, even if kept up to
> date, could help.
>
> I am stuck what to do.  She doesn't want me switching her to Linux.

It sounds more like adware than viruses.  Lock down IE (and I suppose
FF).  Visit all of IE's preferences panels and close all the holes.
Try turning off Javascript and removing Flash (though she will object).

Make sure she runs as a normal user -- don't let her have the
Administrator password, as she is incompetent.  Tell her that if you
find any software installed system-wide that you yourself did not put
there, that she will have to pay someone else to get her computer back,
as you won't.  (It's likely that an honest service business also won't
let her have the Administrator password.)

Encourage her to use separate user accounts for web browsing and her
other stuff.  Maybe make the various programs only available for the
proper user, if necessary, by installing for that user only.  (Parts of
IE must be available system-wide, but not the web browser itself.)