Re: What is /usr/share/locale?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:15:43 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/28/2010 10:49 PM, BeartoothHOS wrote:
>> 	I have an ASUS EeePC 701 (the earliest smallest slowest, afaik),
	[....]

>> 	If "locale" does mean languages, meseems I ought to be able to do
>> a lot of removing. How do I best do that?
>>
> Yes, basically it does have to do with various language and regional
> support.
>
> But, of course, you shouldn't go about blindly deleting stuff since not
> all the files are owned by language specific packages.
>
> What I would first do is run "yum grouplist" and see what groups are
> installed.  You may very well see things like "Armenian Support" or
> "Georgian Support" under the list of Installed Groups.  I would first
> identify those and then go about doing "yum groupremove" on those you
> don't want.

	Aha! Those are commands I knew naught of. Grouplist does indeed
show both things like "Administration Tools" and "system tools" (whose
loss would obviously dump me in the soup) and others like "Georgian
support" and "Tajik support" for languages I wouldn't be able to identify
if I had a book in them in my hands.

	It also distinguishes between Installed Groups and Available
Groups; that may come in very handy.

	Many thanks, and wish me luck!

> I would certainly check the size of /usr/share/locale with "du -s" to
> determine the size and to see what effect the removals.

	Well, I've been using baobab and df -h -- and they're what led me
to /usr/share/locale.