Re: What is /usr/share/locale?

On 03/28/2010 10:49 PM, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> 	I have an ASUS EeePC 701 (the earliest smallest slowest, afaik),
> currently running Omega (Fedora for netbooks). I'm looking to remove
> everything I can, to make space for my own stuff. (I've long since added
> a memory card.)
>
> 	"locale" in other apps seems often to mean languages -- many,
> many languages. I will use only English on this machine, when I use it at
> all. (It's too small for my old eyes and very large arthritic hands; I'll
> replace it when I can afford to.)
>
> 	If "locale" does mean languages, meseems I ought to be able to do
> a lot of removing. How do I best do that?

Yes, basically it does have to do with various language and regional
support.

But, of course, you shouldn't go about blindly deleting stuff since not
all the files are owned by language specific packages.

What I would first do is run "yum grouplist" and see what groups are
installed.  You may very well see things like "Armenian Support" or
"Georgian Support" under the list of Installed Groups.  I would first
identify those and then go about doing "yum groupremove" on those you
don't want.

I would certainly check the size of /usr/share/locale with "du -s" to
determine the size and to see what effect the removals.