Re: Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

On 03/24/2010 04:34 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:49:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Thufir <hawat.thufir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well, if you don't like churn, then FC is possibly not the best distro
>>> for you.
>>>
>> Exactly why I no longer run FC.  The sole reason I use ubuntu is that you
>> can upgrade without re-installing.   Why hasn't this been implemented in
>> FC yet?
>>
> It's been in Fedora since before Fedora (Red Hat Linux 3 in fact).
> ftp.linux.org.uk has been all the way from Red Hat something (8/9 maybe I
> forget as its years back now) to a current Fedora without a re-install on
> the way.

In general I have been doing upgrades for years. Fedora, SuSE, and
Ubuntu. The only serious upgrade problem I had was on RHEL 4 IA64. I
won't go into the details, but it involved two different systems, one in
Toronto performed by the IT people in Toronto, and one at the HP
Marlborough Linux Expertise Center by me and another engineer where we
were careful to go by the book. But, in terms of 32-bit or 64-bit x86
upgrades I have rarely had any problems. One advantage of an upgrade is
that you retain all your system settings. One disadvantage is that you
may have cruft left over from this or prior upgrades. One of the things
that Ubuntu brings to the table is a timely notification that the new
release is available as a popup notification on the routine update. I
don't recall if a similar one is in Fedora 12.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix