Re: upgrade FC5

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 07:07 +0000, Thufir wrote:
> It seems impossible to upgrade FC5 without a clean install -- is that
> essentially correct?

Why don't you want to clean install?  Someone may have a good answer to
help you do it, or overcome the problem.

Upgrades over the top often involve hours, or days, of fixing up
problems.  Having to upgrade through several releases, just to get
through to the latest one, even more so.

Backing up, wiping out, clean installing, extracting old configuration
files and modifying the new ones to do the same thing, and importing old
data, may actually take less time (been there, done that, it's been the
easiest option for me).

> If I did decide to stick with FC5, how, generally, would I go about
> installing java or other rpm's?  Manually downloading?

If something's not available precompiled for your OS, you'd download the
source code, and try compiling it yourself (hoping that you can find all
the bits you need to make it work - which may not be possible with
really old systems).  If the source code isn't available, then you
probably won't be able to do it.

> Can I connect up FC5 with:
>
> http://livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/5/i386/

Not sure what you mean by "connect up" with that mirror, but that mirror
has only got *some* files for Fedora (extra packages that Fedora cannot
supply, itself for legal or ethical reasons).
--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.