Re: Evolution and GPG signing?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> If anyone else uses signed mail and can confirm this behaviour it
>>> would be useful - I would report this against bugzilla but I need to
>>> know which component is the underlying problem.
>>>

>> Check to make sure you are sending plain text. When sending plain text
>> Thunderbird and Evolution should have no problem, but if you send html
>> (eg. multipart/alternative) you are not going to get a good signature
>> verification. I would be glad to run a couple of tests with you. Also,
>> does it make a difference if you are sending inline or PGP/MIME.
>
> I was sending HTML - and I will try with plaintext after seeing your
> post - by the way this account I don't use in either TB or Evo but
> from a web browser and did try firegpg for a while - but it caused a
> load of problems in the browser so switched it off - I have multiple
> mail accounts for different purposes  (work, family, friends, computer
> stuff etc) and I don't always want them opened in the same client.
>
> However I do note that TB sends HTML signed mail with no problems at
> all - it just seems that it is Evo that may be unhappy unless it is
> plaintext - why should there be a difference in signature verification
> if plain text or HTML?
>
> I will post back after a test mail....

Yup you hit it in one!  Sending a signed but plaintext email from Evo
to TB gives a good signature verification in TB - HTML mail gives a
problem! Yet I can send a signed HTML email from Evo to Evo and it
verifies just fine - I find this weird!  Where is the root cause of
this?  Is it something in the sending process in Evo, or in the
receiving end at TB?

By the way what I did for the test was to reply to an HTML mail and
then in Evo compose window change from HTML to Plain Text - the only
security option that I can see in the compose window is to select
Security->PGP Sign - there was no attachment in this case and the
quoted text was inline - if that is what you were asking?

I would like to get to the bottom of this.....
--
mike c