Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

On 03/23/2010 03:21 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 08:34 AM, Mail Lists wrote:
>
>>    I'm curious how many current KDE users we have - what percent of our
>> install base? And what percent of the desktop install base ?
>>
>>    Since the 3.5 ->   4.0 KDE pushathon, everyone I know who was a KDE user
>> (myself included, and Linus too!) switched to gnome and none has yet
>> gone back.
>>
>>    At least a part of the fuss about updates seems to be driven by KDE
>> wanting to be faster paced than the rest - I'm curious what percent of
>> our install base this actually represents today?
>>
>>     For me there were only 2 things disruptive I presently recall - the
>> last was F11 kmail no longer working after recent update - and the
>> devastatingly bad 3.5 ->   4.0 premature release.
>>
>>     I actually like the current general pace - its stable but we get
>> decent flow (tho it has slowed somewhat over the 12-18 months or so it
>> seems) of upstream updates/bug fixes and largely when appropriate larger
>> version bumps. Tho things like firefox lag too much imho - but I no
>> longer care as I now use chrome which is way way better.
>>
>>      Sure there are little hiccups here and there but overall things are
>> non-disruptive and decently up to date - and that is the right balance.
>>
>>     Congrats fedora management, redhat and contributors - and thank you.
>>

> Late to the discussion but I prefer KDE over Gnome and with Novell's
> push to get more Mono into Gnome, I will avoid it.
>
> The move to KDE 4.0 wasn't pleasant.  Now I find that most of KDE is
> back to normal (I use the classic menu).  New settings and configuration
> options are what keeps me on KDE.  The biggest thing is the right click
> on the desktop and I have Konsole as the first item.  This feature is
> what got me to try KDE when Gnome removed that from the menu.
>
> I don't use Kmail or many of the other KDE developments but I use a
> mixture of the best tools for my needs.
>
> I think that many of those that jumped ship when KDE changed will feel
> the same thing when Gnome makes it's change.  It will be interesting if
> Mono is pushed into Gnome to the point that RedHad cannot work around
> it.  Could KDE become the default Fedora desktop?
>
> Some of my family members prefer Gnome.

Well, I got into KDE by coincidence--in the process of buying my first
new hardware in eight years, installing Fedora 12 on it, and being
curious about KDE. Obviously I missed the KDE 4.0 debacle (if that's how
it was) and was treated to a new system with all the kinks wrung out of
it. I required all of about two days to learn the features of KDE as
opposed to Gnome (or perhaps the new KDE as opposed to the classic).

I would recommend KDE as the default choice--for a system meeting a
tougher set of hardware requirements than the quoted standard. Frankly,
I think that Fedora's hardware requirements need a serious review. The
currently recommended hardware would freeze with every third Web visit,
especially to a Javascript-heavy site like Digg.com or Propeller.com.
And that goes double with KDE.

For the record, I'm running KDE with F12 on an Intel Dual-core system
with a 2.2-GHz clock and 3 GB of RAM. This system handles every task
effortlessly.

Temlakos