Re: Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

On 03/15/2010 02:33 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow Fedora users,
>
> At distrowatch there is some discussion whether Fedora would become a
> "Rolling Release" like Arch.  See:
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100315
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8716234495.html
>
> Also Fedora has this page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
>
> There are many great ideas over there, maybe just maybe these changes
> will make a bigger difference?
>
> I like the Fedora version that never quits, never dies^{1}, but not
> everyone goes that route.  Cheers!
>
> Would Fedora users accept a rolling release model?  IT would be nice
> to setup an internet poll to see what many Fedora users have to say?
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio
>
> {1}  Fedora Rawhide, it has become a distribution on its own, or so
> some say at Distrowatch.  Fedora 13 Branched, Fedora 11 Updates,
> Fedora 12 Updates, there are many updates

I would like the option to rolling release or upgrade.  I say this
because of my family.  My wife is not with the install and I have to
think of her.  My daughter installed F12 herself on a new laptop.

My wife was running FC7 until I re-installed to F12 but moving to 12 I
would rather she be able to use a rolling update.

My desktop is still F11 due to time needed to upgrade is not happening.

I have seen our IT staff upgrade Ubuntu machines with a basic click and
wait.  I have upgraded from F10 to F11 with minor issue.

I guess what I am saying is there needs to be a way for the new user to
keep their machine updated without all the headaches.  This is why some
will stick with Windows.  Only needs to be re-installed every year.  :)
  And you have to pay for any upgrades.

--
Robin Laing