Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

On 03/13/2010 08:34 AM, Mail Lists wrote:

>   I'm curious how many current KDE users we have - what percent of our
> install base? And what percent of the desktop install base ?
>
>   Since the 3.5 ->  4.0 KDE pushathon, everyone I know who was a KDE user
> (myself included, and Linus too!) switched to gnome and none has yet
> gone back.
>
>   At least a part of the fuss about updates seems to be driven by KDE
> wanting to be faster paced than the rest - I'm curious what percent of
> our install base this actually represents today?
>
>    For me there were only 2 things disruptive I presently recall - the
> last was F11 kmail no longer working after recent update - and the
> devastatingly bad 3.5 ->  4.0 premature release.
>
>    I actually like the current general pace - its stable but we get
> decent flow (tho it has slowed somewhat over the 12-18 months or so it
> seems) of upstream updates/bug fixes and largely when appropriate larger
> version bumps. Tho things like firefox lag too much imho - but I no
> longer care as I now use chrome which is way way better.
>
>     Sure there are little hiccups here and there but overall things are
> non-disruptive and decently up to date - and that is the right balance.
>
>    Congrats fedora management, redhat and contributors - and thank you.

Late to the discussion but I prefer KDE over Gnome and with Novell's
push to get more Mono into Gnome, I will avoid it.

The move to KDE 4.0 wasn't pleasant.  Now I find that most of KDE is
back to normal (I use the classic menu).  New settings and configuration
options are what keeps me on KDE.  The biggest thing is the right click
on the desktop and I have Konsole as the first item.  This feature is
what got me to try KDE when Gnome removed that from the menu.

I don't use Kmail or many of the other KDE developments but I use a
mixture of the best tools for my needs.

I think that many of those that jumped ship when KDE changed will feel
the same thing when Gnome makes it's change.  It will be interesting if
Mono is pushed into Gnome to the point that RedHad cannot work around
it.  Could KDE become the default Fedora desktop?

Some of my family members prefer Gnome.

--
Robin Laing