Re: chainloader +1, again

On Monday 22 March 2010, Will Walthall wrote:
>So I made the assumption that your part layout was /dev/sdb1 f10
>system, /dev/sdb2 f12 system.
>
>Option #1 Install grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb
>Option #2 Install grub to the partition of /dev/sdb1
>
>Lots of things you need to consider, one you dont want to break
>
>Do you Chainload into mandriva aswell? is the Mandriva boot installed
>to MBR /dev/sdd or in the partition /dev/sdd1?
>
>Steps I would take:
>:Reinstall grub to the MBR of /dev/sda and make sure that it has these 3
>: devices
>
>-grub prompt in f10-
>device (hd0) /dev/sda  //f10
>device (hd1) /dev/sdb  //f12
>device (hd2) /dev/sdd  //mandriva
>root (hd0,0)
>setup (hd0)

This did not return any errors, so I am off to try it.

And, and hour later, it failed, error 13. Invalid file format or some such
drivel.

The hour was because it decided to do an e2fsck on /usr, which is something
over half a Tb.

>Option #1
>
>:Reinstall grub to the MBR of /dev/sdb
>
>device (hd0) /dev/sdb  // This grub is isolated from the MBR one on
>/dev/sda so I believe this is correct, I've never done something like
>this personally, though I've messed around with grub alot
>root (hd0,0)
>setup (hd0)
>
>: Make sure all your entries in menu.lst for f10 are correct
>
># Again I think this is correct, though I haven't done anything like
>this, I have chainloaded into grub installed to a partition, but not
>into one installed to another MBR on a seperate drive
>title Fedora 12
>root (hd1,1)
>chainloader (hd1)+1

Now I have done this, and will try it.  And this reverts to the grub screen
from /dev/sda in about 4 seconds, silently.

>Don't do anything till we have another exchange of dialog, my previous
>message didn't take into account your non simple partition layout.

Humm, I didn't read this far, so I did it anyway.  Sorry.

>-Will

Thanks Will.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Are the STEWED PRUNES still in the HAIR DRYER?