Evolution and GPG signing?

I have a problem with Evolution email signing on send that I can't
solve. GPG signature on receive seems fine from mail that I have sent
from a Thunderbird client, and it has a GPG line with "Valid
signature".

For a long time now I have been using Thunderbird with the enigmail
extension to send and receive signed and/or encrypted mail - perfectly
successfully.

I decided to give Evolution a try - mostly it works, including syncing
caldav calendars nicely.  I then set up GPG in the security section
and selected my key ID. Then I sent a test mail that was GPG signed.
In the Sent mail folder the outgoing mail in Evolution looks normal
and within Evolution it says that the mail was signed just fine (i.e.
Valid signature). However when this mail is received in Thunderbird
the top strip on the mail (within Thunderbird) is pink instead of
green, and the OpenPGP status says "Error - signature verification
failed; click on 'Details' button for more information " - clicking on
the details gives the Security Info as

"OpenPGP Security Info

Error - signature verification failed

gpg command line and output:
/usr/bin/gpg
gpg: Signature made Sun 21 Mar 2010 11:40:25 AM GMT using RSA key ID XXXXXX
gpg: BAD signature from "xxxxxxxxx (New rsa key) <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"

Has anyone else come across this behaviour and if so do you know what
it needed to make GPG signing behave normally?

Thanks

--
mike c