Re: [OT] Deafening silence

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Distrowatch says that Red Hat 6 will be about 2 years late because
>> Fedora is too goddamned buggy. In which way will Fedora's bugs help
>> Red Hat succeed better than Canonical or Novell?
>
> Red Hat 6 was released many many years ago 8)
>
> If you mean a "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6" then nobody who knows anything
> is going to give you an answer because it would be unlawful to do so in
> the USA (and most countries) as it would involve material information
> about un-announced products of a publically traded business.

I didn't want so much to know when it will be released, as only if
it's late, and by how much.

Distrowatch pretends the releases went like this:

   1. FC 0 -> RHEL 3
   2. FC 3 -> RHEL 4
   3. FC 6 -> RHEL 5

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100308

and that Fedora 9 should have been the base for RHEL 6. So, the
release schedule would be every 18 moths whereas it would be already
more than 18 months late for RHEL6. I just made bried research this
and it seems:

FC6 was released on 2006/10/24
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

and RHEL5 on March 14, 2007
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2007/rhel5.html

which is 4 months late. So, this explains, but only in part, why RHEL6
is not out yet. If it's released in June, as Distrowatch thinks, it
will be 27 months between releases.

RHEL4 was released on or around 15 February, 2005
http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/2/15/RHEL4

which is 25 months.

So, RHEL6 is not that late. It's just that, when you're accustomed to
6 months releases, it just seems like an awful lot of time. I suppose
RHEL could join Canonical with their project of releasing together
every 2 years. Comments?

> Remember enterprise users generally hate new major releases due to the
> cost hit they take in managing/testing/upgrading. These are people who
> object to 'five years of support' as too short.

Enterprise users don't *have to* upgrade but, if they get new
hardware, I suppose they find it nice not to have to install too old
an OS.

BTW, to all, I found this article that I found very interesting:

https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/377930/51c110883cc4de9c/

It answered a lot of my questions on Fedora/Red Hat development. I
intend to comment on it but spent the day reading all sort of
documentation and tomorrow I might be busy.

If anybody want to start a thread, I have no objection, of course, but
I'll start mine, with a clear confession about being a Karl 3
look-alike, a Microsoft troll and a freeloader. You know, just to make
sure that certain people do not waste their precious time explaining
while their help is so badly needed somewhere else.