Re: Installing on a Macbook Pro

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Evan Klitzke <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem that I have is that I've been using refit
> (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) as my EFI boot environment. So right
> now when I boot my computer, refit loads, and then that loads grub,
> and grub boots the kernel normally. It's my understanding that
> overwriting the OS X volume would break refit, making my computer
> unbootable.

Not quite true.. OS X sits on the second partition, the first is a
VFAT partition which holds your boot loader. Deleting the OS X
partition should not remove rEFIt.

However, if you're only going to boot Fedora, then you don't need
rEFIt. Fedora does support booting from an EFI system, maybe you
should install with the F12 efidisk image. Perhaps something on my
blog will help you:

"http://blog.christophersmart.com/2009/07/23/linux-on-an-apple-xserve-efi-only-machine/";

The Macbook Pro does have MBR emulation however (unlike an Xserve), so
you *should* be able to boot with a generic MBR and use gptsync under
Fedora to write the table.. Did I say "should"?

Either way, I highly suggest that you back up your entire drive
(perhaps just a direct dd) and then experiment. You can always dd
everything back if it goes belly up..

If backing up is not an option, I have a Macbook Pro 2.1 which I can
experiment with and let you know how I go.

-c