Re: ssh to my computer behind NAT

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 00:08 -0600, Rick Sewill wrote:
> I have difficulty thinking why the ISP wouldn't let you configure
> their NAT router to forward the ssh port to your host...

If they assign users random IPs each time they connect, as many ISPs do,
then they can't (easily) set up a rule to pass something through to a
particular client.

They certainly couldn't have a fixed rule to put one port through to one
particular IP, they'd have to dynamically change the rule with each log
on.

And, how many different clients are you going to make custom rules for?
They can't all have port 22 forwarded to them, individually.  You'd have
to start using the ephemeral ports (above 1024), and then that'd
(potentially) clash with another user trying to make use of them.

NAT's a big pain in the neck within a LAN, but a right royal pain in the
neck when an ISP uses it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686