Re: Problem with an external usb HD - slow usb

On 03/08/2010 11:53 AM, Luigi Castro Cardeles wrote:
> 2010/3/8 Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> [Please don't top-post on this list]
>>
>> First of all, is this device a real hard disk, i.e. a mechanically
>> rotating magnetic surface, or is it some kind of Flash drive?
>>
> Hi,
> sorry for top post and sorry about the poor english.
> It is not a flash drive, is an real HD.
>
> I search a lot on www about this issue and the only clue i find is
> about sync/async option when mount the device and verify if it is
> connected to usb 2.0 hub.
> The strange thing is if i use windows to copy this diretory (drag on
> drop), the full operation last more or less two six (copy directory
> and umount - "eject" - the device),
> The same operation under fedora last a lot longer. (last day, i let
> the copy last for a full day and it is not finished - i pause in the
> middle).
>
> []'s
> Luigi Castro Cardeles

I have a similar problem.  I have 2 external USB disk drives, one is
1.5TB the other 1TB.  Copies to and from the external disks to the local
disk, or between the 2 external disks, take a long time and while the
copy is going on the system is essentially unusable, e.g.. it can take
15 to 30 seconds for virtual desktops to update.  Moving the mouse is
very jerky, the mouse stops for 5 to 10 seconds then moves then stops
again.  I run netbeans IDE with the netbeans projects on one of the
external drives.  Even when I'm not doing anything with the IDE the disk
light on my laptop will go on solid for several minutes leading to slow
response times.

I'm running on a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo processor with 2Gb memory.  What I
notice during the copies is that both CPUs are 75 - 90% in wait state.
I'm also running an encrypted root file system.

The problem is really bad when I try running VMware Workstation 7.  The
virtual machines are all located on one of the external disks.   When I
run one VM the system response time on the system degrades significantly
as noted above and I have to shutdown the VM if I want to get anything
done.

Paolo