Fedora 12: no sound after switch users

   Following on from another thread (in which gdm seemed to be stealing
sound-ability from users), I've updated to the latest pulseuadio RPMs from
updates-testing, and by situation seems to have gotten worse.

   (NB: this is fedora 12;  it was all working swimmingly in fedora 10, from
which I upgraded a few weeks back).

   After a reboot, I log in.  I have sound, no problems AFAICT.  If I then
switch users for my wife to log in (while I remain logged in), she gets no
sound at all.

   A quick investigation shows that her PA config. has dropped back to a
'dummy' output device.  I can switch back to my login and hear my sound
again, but nothing i can do can get hers working again.

   I am utterly at a loss as to how to debug/diagnose pulseaudio, it's gone
well beyond my ken;  can anyone help point me in the right direction?

   Here's the output of 'pulseaudio -vvv' :

https://www.fnxweb.co.uk/fnx/data/pa.out

   And the two log files generated by system-config-sound (or whatever it's
called) run (as root) whilst logged in as my wife:

https://www.fnxweb.co.uk/fnx/data/scsconfig.log
https://www.fnxweb.co.uk/fnx/data/scsrun.log

   I did notice some failed device access in the pa.out file, namely
"/dev/snd/pcmC7D0p", but that device isn't on my system.  I have:

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       80 2010-03-07 16:41 by-id/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      100 2010-03-07 16:41 by-path/
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 2010-03-07 16:41 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 14 2010-03-07 16:41 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 12 2010-03-07 16:41 controlC7
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 2010-03-07 16:43 pcmC0D0c