Re: Where is 2.6.32?

On 03/06/2010 08:59 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
--

> I see that *JUST RECENTLY* there was a 2.6.32.9.X-fc12 kernel being released to test out.  ON rawhide there is a 2.6.34.rc1? kernel.  For Fedora stable, *IT IS TAKING TOO LONG* to push the kernels.  Hey those that say that Fedora is BLEEDING EDGE are now being denied that claim.  Slackware which is known for stability and NOT in the upgrade constantly frenzy is at 2.6.33
>
> olivares@darkstar:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.33-smp
> olivares@darkstar:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
> Slackware 13.0.0.0.0
>
> But to give you credit, where credit is due.  Many users out there are having trouble because of the noveau getting in the way of the nvidia drivers and this is causing lots of headaches and *Fedora is doing the right thing* to wait and make sure that things work out before releasing the kernels RIGHT?
>
> On another note, due to the inability of Fedora to release a 2.6.32 kernel, I was on the impression that IT was going to be SKIPPED to make way for 2.6.33 and its many IMPROVEMENTS.  Like John I will compile the new kernel as soon as I can and see if the native nouveau just works because I could not go back to a previous 2.6.30 kernel that I compiled because it(noveau) did not build and I did not want to use the nvidia driver just yet.

  You may want to check Linus' issues with nouveau in the newer kernels
on linux-kernel ML - as alluded to earlier in thread.

  Just plopping the kernel onto f12 with nouveau may well not work (coz
of ABI changes in nouvouch) - certainly for me neither .33 not .34 from
fc13 and rawhide  respectively work - however if you try and pull the
new nouvouh driver it needs then it also needs a new xorg server and drm
and ... so its a slippery slope.

 Now Dave Airlie gave linus a source for nouvea driver which will run on
f12 without pulling in all the other stuff ... i think.

 Anyway if you find a clean way to try newer kernels (which I need coz
of some nasty iwlagn bugs) so I can confirm they are fixed in kernels >=
2.6.33 .. please let me know.

 gene