Re: partition customization ....how do I ???

Mike McCarty wrote:
> If I wanted to do a custom partition install, I wouldn't run the
> standard install disc, and then try to "break out" of it somehow,
> and do something "behind the installer's back", and then resume the
> install.
>
> I'd use a stand-alone rescue type CD-ROM to boot, partition the disc
> as I saw fit, and only then boot to the installer, and give it the
> information it needs in order to use the partitions I already created.
>
> Mike

I don't see why one would not use the standard install disc, without any
trickery, to do custom partitions. Every Linux installer (nearly) allows
for partition customization, with or without LVM partitioning. The only
thing you can't do is set up your hardware RAID, which must be done
prior to running any installer regardless.

Some of the partitioners invoked can be a little complicated, because
they are after all written by hardcore Linux geeks, but there is
documentation available all over the web for installers, partitioners,
LVM and anything else you can think of. With some trial and error on a
test machine (or unplugging your hard drive and using an old one on your
main machine), you will gain familiarity with the installer and
partitioner for the distro you want to use. That's how we all learnt it.
As they say, RTFM (Read The Furbished Manual, in polite terms) is your
best advice.

Cheers,

--

Paul