Re: F12-i386-DVD iso won't burn properly

On 03/02/2010 03:55 PM, John Mellor wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:53 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
>> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
>> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
>> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
>> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.
>>
>> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
>> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
>> options?
>
> Yeah, I had the same problem using F12 and the same procedures that I
> have used in other releases using both brasero and the fileroller
> doodad.  I gave up and just burned it from a Windows box.  Maybe its
> fixed now with the hundreds of patches being fired out.
>
> I think its all part of the insufficient testing problem that has dogged
> F12 ever since it was released without being stabilized.  Hopefully the
> revised F13 qa automation and fixing of blocker anaconda bugs so that
> testers can actually install the beta can resolve some of this...

I rather think it's more Brasero and fileroller that have the issue.
I had no problem when I burned those images using growisofs from the
command line, but I've had issues in the past with many of the GUI-
based burners misinterpreting return codes and such from the burner
drives.

For reference, here's a simple shell script.  Keep it in /usr/local/bin
so it's always available:

	[root@prophead ~]# cat /usr/local/bin/burndvd
	#!/bin/bash
	growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=$1

Just "burndvd /path/to/iso/image".  Works pretty damned reliably.