Re: disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Jatin K wrote:
>Dear *,
>
>I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>hard-disk  )
>
>I'm trying to create following partition layout

>----------- device                    size             mount-point
>----------- hda1                      100mb            /boot
>
>hda2                      500mb            swap
>
>hda3                     5000mb            /
>
>hda4                     4500mb        Extended partition
>
>hda5                       500mb            /var
>
>hda6                     1000mb            /var/www
>
>hda7                     2000mb            /home
>
>hda8                     1000mb            /usr
>--------------
>
>I've done this on disk druid
>
>licked on new ---> mount point */boot *filesystem type ext3 100MB  (
>fixed sized is selected ) and it becomes hda1
>
>again   licked on new ----> filesystem type Swap 500MB  ( fixed sized is
>selected )  and it becomes hda2   ...
>
>now creating / ( root ) partition
>
>again clicked on new ---> mount point */*  filesystem type ext3 5000mb (
>fixed sized is selected ) ... now something happens as soon as I press ok
>
>the swap partition is sifted to hda3 (previously it was on hda2 ) and /
>partition goes to hda2
>
>if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5
>

>why like this ????
>
>how do I exactly  maintain the said order of the partition in exercise ??

Simple, don't use disk destroyer, its busted.  I had a heck of a time when I
installed F10, and f10 was slow as a drugged 3 legged dog.  Stable for the
most part but slow.  The I started getting problem reports from smartd about
that disk.  So I went and got another disk, and used gparted to prepare it as
I wanted it to be, with a few more partitions etc with the sizing based on
previous experience.  I labeled them all, put ext3 journals on them, and
rsync'ed them from the failing disk, and did a grub install on the new disk
and fixed /etc/fstab to use label mounts as the last thing I did before a
shutdown to remove the failing disk and move the new one to the sata0 jack.
I had to do a boot from the install dvd in rescue mode and do the grub
install again for some reason.  But when I had rebooted from the dvd to the
new disk, the first thing I noticed was a very obviously noticeable speedup
of the system even from the boot verbosity, and now, nearly a year later,
that speedup remains.

But its blasphemous to pan disk destroyer in these here parts, so I keep
quiet about it most of the time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)