Re: F12-i386-DVD iso won't burn properly -- SOLVED

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Sadly, I don't seem to have wodim on my system. (I never upgraded beyond
>> FC6, if that explains anything.) How do I get it?
>>

> FC6 would have cdrecord.  I think wodim and cdrecord have compatible
> command-line options.  If I remember correctly, there was some problem
> with cdrecord's license, so wodim was developed as a drop-in
> replacement.
>
> But if you want to give wodim a try anyway, it shouldn't be hard to
> build from source.  Let me find it for you...
>
>    http://www.cdrkit.org/
>
> But if you're not a programmer, do try out cdrecord before attempting
> to build wodim yourself.
>
> Don Quixote

Happily, I substituted "cdrecord" for "wodim" in that command line.
Forty minutes later, I now have a disk that I have every reason to
suppose will work as intended. The burn surface looks as though it
accepted a burn of about 3 GB, and cdrecord returned only one warning
(concerning the wrong startsec variable, or something) but no error
messages, fatal or otherwise.

Now in case anyone is still wondering what went wrong before: I was
using GUI tools--first the file browser (nautilus), and then GnomeBaker.
My hardware is very old--a Pentium III with 500 MiB of RAM.

I am going to install Fedora 12 on a new piece of hardware:

HP Pavillion A6528P Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2 GHz - 3GB RAM -
500GB HDD

I have also acquired a new wide-screen monitor with twice the pixel
width of the first widescreens that came out.

I am reasonably confident that Fedora 12 should work on that hardware.
Of course, that's why I burnt a Live CD, so that I can be sure. But if
any of you believe that I might have issues with that hardware, please
tell me.

Thanks for the command-line tip.

Thanks also to the user who offered to send me an already-burnt disk. I
might not be needing that, however.

Temlakos