Sound lockup if gdm pulseaudio enabled

   I've been having various issues with pulseaudio since upgrading my F10
box to F12 recently (it was previously working fine).

   The core issue seems to have been worked around my my disabling gdm
puleeaudio (via root's gconf-editor, as mentioned on a blog somewhere).

   I'm concerned, though, that that's just masking the real issue.
Essentially, the issue is that, with gdm audio enabled, any normal user's
app. will hang when trying to generate sound.  This made my login nearly
impossible as I have a couple of applets that 'tone' when logging in, and
this seemed (via the gnome panel?) to near-enough hang my entire session.

   Is there something in particular I should be looking at, maybe
permissions-wise?

   I did try running pulseadio with '-vvv' as recommended to see what was
what, but the only relevant thing I saw were timeout messages.  The one
error I did see once was being unable to open a device via /dev, but the odd
code it was using as a filename didn't match what was there.

   That may have been exacerbated by the fact that my wife was logged in at
the same time, and I seemed to find that when I restarted my pulse-audio
daemon, hers seemed to take over (even though not the active console) and
mine fell back to 'dummy output'.  I had to log her out to get my audio
working OK (and then, oddly, logging in as her still let her use audio OK).

   I haven't experimented to see if that oddity is still the case now I've
disabled gdm-audio, but it does all smack of off permissions to me.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature