Re: akonadi startup errors

Dave Stevens wrote:
> I got a similar (or perhaps the same) issue and at this address:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Nepomuk_Indexing_Agents_have_been_Disabled
>
> is a little box of three command line texts that worked for me. Not
> necessarily a permanent fix but I can now use my pop client (kmail) again.

These command-line texts are actually awfully bad advice for most users!
They solve the problem for users of KDE 4.4 prereleases who were already
using Nepomuk with an old Virtuoso. But the reason most of you are seeing
that error message is entirely different: you just have Nepomuk disabled in
System Settings (under Desktop Search), please enable it there. These
instructions will NOT solve your problem permanently as they only start
Nepomuk in the current session (in fact they assume it's already enabled,
just not working due to the Virtuoso migration which isn't affecting you at
all).

I'm adding a paragraph to the userbase.kde.org wiki to make this clear. (But
I've been trying to explain that to Anne Wilson all this time. :-( )

        Kevin Kofler