Re: KMail / Akonadi mess

Quoting Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Dave Stevens-2 wrote:
>>

>> I am absolutely on Mike's side on this one. I use Kmail exclusively
>> and only after extensive testing, it has the features I want and use
>> and has always been solid. But it HAS TO WORK. Full time, all the
>> time, I live by my mail. I have been able to use the workaround Anne
>> Wilson pointed me to but that is one session only, if I quit kmail and
>> start it again I'm back at square zero. I'm writing this using my
>> webmail client because my system will come to its knees if I fire up
>> kmail. Changing clients is a HUGE pain in the ass and there seem to
>> have been no subsequent updates that have any relevance. Extremely
>> disappointing and I still don't have access to my addressbook, even
>> after trying to follow up on tips presented in other threads.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> In my case it was a clean f11 installed system that was fully updated.

yes, the same for me, F11, up to date. I use the gnome desktop and
pretty much only kmail out of the k apps.

  Only
> a month ago was kmail used for the first time in a new user area on that
> machine and no other user on the machine was using kmail, and the way it was
> initiated was that kmail was fired up and a new pop account to a remote mail
> server set up. Address book entries were imported from an ldif file from
> another system, and a few setting changes made, with some additional folders
> set for local storage. That was it. The system was working perfectly until
> the kde update to 4.4 and then a day later the mail went south big time.
> Others have commented that if kmail was running at the time of the update
> this may have mattered - if that is the case then the update was flawed in
> its design.

agreed, surely it's reasonable to expect better performance thatn
that. If I want to be a beta tester I'll say so.

  The system should have continued to run and when kmail was
> restarted it should have "just worked" - it did not.
>
> It is possible that only one or two people had any problem at all with their
> updates and were running kmail during their update, and maybe the few who
> reported in this forum were the only ones that had any problems at all!
> (Tongue removed from cheek!)

I don't know how many subscribers there are to this list and in any
case do not feel comforted to hear that mine may be a corner case. I
thought at one point that maybe I'd try removing and reinstalling
akonadi. I saw a humongous list of apps that would be removed for
dependencies. I'd presumably have to install them all again as well as
akonadi. I didn't do it. But it pointed out to me the centrality of
this software to a lot of K work. If it's so central this reinforces
the case for solid testing.

> Anyway perhaps someone will find out what happened to the few is us "corner
> cases" id due course.
>
> --

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti