Re: Why are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden ?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> - cannot be adequately established for Linux because so few computers
>>> are actually sold with Linux on them.
>>
>> Why is that? In which way would making back-up easier -- and this is
>> only one problem -- make Linux less popular?
>
> Most users want *everything* in their $HOME backed up, config files and data (although the distinction you make between these is vague). This can be trivially does by just backing up everything in $HOME. I notice you didn't both replying to this part of Craig's email.... Wonder why ...
>

>>> The one thing you can somewhat
>>> measure is web browser usage where the statistics aren't as clear cut as
>>> you want to believe. See...
>>>
>>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>>
>> w3schools.com... Yes, this generally gives you an overall picture.
>>
>> Once again, thanks for your contribution!
>
> Its a hard set of real life numbers. Yeah, it just one group of users but a *lot* better stats than the 1% you quote with nothing what so ever to back it up ...

<http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8&qpcal=1&qpcal=1&qptimeframe=Y&qpsp=2010>

Now, you might find this doesn't correspond to the ravings of the
Linux counter guy.

You're right! It does correspond to my experience, though. Just a bit inflated.

Linux began 19 years ago, in 1991. And you're really satisfied with
what we're up to? No need to question all you have to learn in order
to do a decent back-up? We're gonna conquer the world next year?
Dummies should use Macs and Windows? We are the true ones cause we
know how to get pass hindrances... which should remain?

Thanks for your contribution!