Re: Many bugs: pdf, Thunderbird, Firefox, goes knows.

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:42:09 -0500 Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Some people seem to have problems opening pdf documents with Fedora
> 12, but my problem is slightly different.
>
> Until 2 updates ago, everything was fine, but now, if I click a pdf
> file at Google's, it downloads but doesn't open I click Tools,
> Downloads the click the pdf file.
>
> That's not all. If I click a URL in Thunderbird, it doesn't open. I've
> got to right click it, then choose Copy, then I'm asked if I want to
> open it in the browser, I click Firefox, it opens.
>
> So, I've sent me a message with a URL. When I click it, I receive the
> following message:
>
> "Could not open the link.
> (This can be copy/pasted)
>
> "Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib64/firefox-3.5.6/firefox"
> (No such file or directory). Of course, I have 3.5.8 installed."
> (This part of the error message cannot be copy/pasted. What's the
> fundamental reason for this?)
>
> Maybe if I could redirect the system to the right copy of Firefox, it
> would solve all problems? How is this done?

Just checking: did you quit your firefox and restart after the update?
This may solve most of your problems, if not.

> I must admit I've seen the little red rat appear quite often lately in
> the top panel. I try not to care too much about it, but it seems there
> are consequences.

Little red rat? I don't have anything of that sort here: I confess I am
using the LXDE spin, though.

> 10 days ago, one copy of Firefox after another started opening. I
> jumped on the modem switch. Then, ALT-F4 couldn't stop the number of
> open windows from increasing. I rebooted, but the reboot process
> didn't work: the screen went black before the boot screen and
> everything stopped there with the HD emitting loud clicks.
>
> I went into the BIOS and noticed pretty much every option -- by this I
> mean even the failsafe option -- had been grayed out. Tried to reboot
> in vain. Went back to the BIOS and saved the options available before
> quitting. The system booted fine.
>
> I'll have to check the BIOS <=> CMOS option to reload the defaults. Or
> I'll just remove the battery.

What exactly is this system and its specs?

Ranjan