Many bugs: pdf, Thunderbird, Firefox, goes knows.

Some people seem to have problems opening pdf documents with Fedora
12, but my problem is slightly different.

Until 2 updates ago, everything was fine, but now, if I click a pdf
file at Google's, it downloads but doesn't open I click Tools,
Downloads the click the pdf file.

That's not all. If I click a URL in Thunderbird, it doesn't open. I've
got to right click it, then choose Copy, then I'm asked if I want to
open it in the browser, I click Firefox, it opens.

So, I've sent me a message with a URL. When I click it, I receive the
following message:

"Could not open the link.
(This can be copy/pasted)

"Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib64/firefox-3.5.6/firefox"
(No such file or directory). Of course, I have 3.5.8 installed."
(This part of the error message cannot be copy/pasted. What's the
fundamental reason for this?)

Maybe if I could redirect the system to the right copy of Firefox, it
would solve all problems? How is this done?

I must admit I've seen the little red rat appear quite often lately in
the top panel. I try not to care too much about it, but it seems there
are consequences.

10 days ago, one copy of Firefox after another started opening. I
jumped on the modem switch. Then, ALT-F4 couldn't stop the number of
open windows from increasing. I rebooted, but the reboot process
didn't work: the screen went black before the boot screen and
everything stopped there with the HD emitting loud clicks.

I went into the BIOS and noticed pretty much every option -- by this I
mean even the failsafe option -- had been grayed out. Tried to reboot
in vain. Went back to the BIOS and saved the options available before
quitting. The system booted fine.

I'll have to check the BIOS <=> CMOS option to reload the defaults. Or
I'll just remove the battery.