Re: F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Steven Stern wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 07:57 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>> You could try removing /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt and then enabling
>> fastestmirror again. I did that when I was troubleshooting when I found
>> the problem with Singapore.  FWIW, Singapore had been working just
>> fine.  I think there may have been undersea cable problem at the time.
>> I've not gone back to find if the problem still exists.
>>

> Fastestmirror isn't a reliable plugin, IMO. It seems to be based on ping
> times, not the download bandwidth for any given site.

I have had no issue that I could pin on fastestmirror.  I haven't looked
as to how it determines the fastest mirror but I'm skeptical that it
would be based solely on ping times.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have
expected it to determine that a site in Singapore is faster than a site
"locally" in Taiwan or even the US to which Taiwan is better connected.
But, come to think of it, not sure why it would have picked a Singapore
mirror in the first place.  :-(

Hummm....  Something to look into when time permits...

--
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he
knows absolutely everything about nothing.