Re: OT: ISPs: Linux's role nowadays

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Servers don't really make good routers.  When you are talking about
>> traditional low- to mid-speed telco circuits (T1, T3), there have never
>> been good, well-supported, cost-effective solutions for connecting those
>> directly to Linux systems for routing that could compete with a basic
>> Juniper or Cisco (or Adtran or ...) on price and ease of use.
>>
>> When you start talking about SONET links (OC-3 and up), Linux AFAIK
>> doesn't handle things like protected paths and the like, and then you
>> also quickly pass the performance capability of commodity hardware.
>> Newer WAN circuits are using Ethernet, but you need OAM (which Linux
>> doesn't support) to properly manage them as a replacement for
>> traditional telco circuits.
>>
>> "Real" routers (aka Juniper and Cisco) use hardware-based forwarding
>> that can run at line rate for 1G, 10G, and 100G interfaces.
>>
>> Dynamic routing has always been pretty weak in Linux as well.  I have a
>> few systems running Quagga for various purposes, but it is not nearly as
>> powerful and flexible as a "traditional" router.
>>
>> Now, Juniper routers all run FreeBSD, but that's only on the routing
>> engine (where the management and routing daemons run), not the
>> forwarding engine (where the actual packet forwarding takes place).
>> Juniper wrote all their own routing, PPP management, etc. daemons from
>> scratch.  It is kind of funny when you spend $100K+ on a router that has
>> a Celeron 850 CPU and a whopping 20G hard drive. :-)
>>
>> I have lots of Linux servers, a few other old Unix servers, and a couple
>> of Linux firewalls, but all my routers are Juniper.  I've been working
>> for small ISPs for 14 years, and I've never really seen a time where I
>> would try to push Linux into serious routing.  It costs too much on the
>> low end and can't handle the performance on the high end.
>
> How about Vyatta? They are Linux-based and claim to have the same
> performance as Cisco routers. They started out as software-only but
> seem to be pushing "appliances" more and more, like
> http://www.vyatta.com/downloads/datasheets/vyatta_3500_datasheet.pdf

This looks like an interesting solution:

Vyatta Appliance, Vyatta 3520, Premium Subscription, H/W Expedited 4HR, 3 Years

Vyatta Appliance, Vyatta 3520, Premium Subscription, H/W Expedited 4HR
Parts & Labor, 3 Years (ships with US Power Cord as standard)
(Typically ships in 15-17 business days)
Price: $10,695.45

http://www2.vyatta.com/store/Vyatta-3520-Premium-with-4-Hour-Expedited-Service

But I have no idea of how it compares to other Cisco's or Junipter's.

They have a demo here:

http://www.vyatta.com/products/demos/introduction-to-vyatta/introduction-to-vyatta.html

For a know nothing like me it looks rather convincing but I'm a bit
sceptical when they talk about better performance without hardware
optimization. Then again, if they compare price for price, it might
very well make sense.

> (Your reply-to has users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx twice)

I see it only once here (Gmail)...