rsync, vs Partimage, vs other backup

Dear fellow Fedora users & list members,

On the kmail thread, sarcasm included :), I noticed the references to rsync and partimage respectively.  Both are recommended to make backups in order to prevent from BAD UPDATES to render your machine/working programs to a halt :(, and get back up easily.  I have not used any of the two and would appreciate some command line examples of how the two work in case I decide to do the same.

I have a copy of SystemRescueCD, GpartedLiveCD, in case either of the two are handy in this situation.  I have run rawhide and have been lucky to get back up from those BAD UPDATES once in a while and the test list is very generous with their help and guidance.

Regards,

Antonio