Re: KMail

> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:52 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> > Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> > > KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See
> > > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde
> >
> > FWIW, I'm still on F11 and it's been working great until this morning
> > when I noticed the system was acting like it was trying to get my
> > attention to update... so I used the SSH console I was in to start the
> > update and noticed a bunch of updates come through... *sigh* I wish
> > I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff that
> > should have been better tested was pushed out broken!
>
> ----
> you should use Windows or Macintosh because those OS's never push out
> any broken updates.
>
> ;-)
>
> Craig

FWIW:

I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync of my system
to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff and in the
inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system back to a perfect
"before I ran the updates" state if needed.

This approach has saved me loads of grief,  I highly recommend it.