Re: Printing from Windows XP

On 02/24/2010 06:43 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:15 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> This is not Windows, but in the same tradition, after rebooting my
>> CUPs server, I have lost connectivity to this printer from *both*
>> windows machines, both from user and admin accounts.
>
> Obvious question:  How long did you wait?

At least 5 minutes before I tried.

> If SMB is also involved with printing, then machines going on and off
> the network frequently cause havoc, while the SMB system goes through
> its who's-the-boss motions.
>
> Years ago I observed that SMB doesn't seem to have the concept of
> logging off.  Hence when a machine goes offline, other things get their
> knickers in a twist because they're still trying to use it.  And are
> still in a twist, for quite some time, if it comes back again.

AFAICT, SMB is no longer involved with my printing services.  XP can
access them directly, and I configure them as an "internet" printer via
a URL like:

	http://server:631/printers/printerName

ISTR that I had to create a special "raw" queue for them under CUPs so
that the Samsung Windows printer driver could talk to them directly
(without a postscript conversion).  So, while my Fedora computers talk
to the "lp" printer, Windows talk to the raw queues using the Samsung
Windows printer drivers.

Certainly, these raw queues do not appear to the Windows boxes when I
"browse" for them.  Another reason why I think that SMB is no longer
involved.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx