KMail

WTF is up with KMail? Ever since I installed a bunch of updates this
morning, KMail started having problems. I got a brilliant idea and
decided to see if restarting KMail would solve the problem. Well, it
didn't. It caused more problems. Now I can't send *anything* and
there's a message on my system (at home -- logged into it from remote)
stating "starting akonadi server." Now WTF is that and why is it not
starting???