Re: changing GDM background image on F12

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:31:10PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 11:40:36AM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > > You can also set it as a user's background via the normal
> > > preferences setting and then make that the system default (via the
> > > bottom "Make Default" button).
> >
> > Oh nice.  I had looked right past that, even after reading Bill's
> > message. :/
> >
> > That works fine here as well.  Whatever issue Fred's running into, I
> > don't think it's anything that is generally or completely broken.  but
> > it seems like he's gone the easy route and overwritten the default
> > image, so we may not find the real cause.
>
> Actually, what I did was save the original constantine.xml and edit
> it to point to the actual image I wanted instead of the default one,
> then saved myself a spare copy of the modified file in case some
> future update clobbers it.
>
> I, too, would like to know why the normal methods didn't work, but
> eventually frustration took hold.

I don't know why the prescribed method doesn't work. I fought with it
for a long time last fall when I installed F12 on my eeepc. I finally
gave up and hacked the file that defines the GDM background.

If you look in /usr/share/backgrounds/constantine/default/constantine.xml,
you'll find a series of lines that spell out the full path to the image
file used on the login screen. Just edit it so that each line points
instead to the file you want it to use then log off/on and you should
be all set. (I don't think it needs a reboot--I don't really remember.)

Just from paranoia, I keep "spare" copies of both the original file as
well as my modified one, in case a GDM update were to come down the pike
and overwrite my customized file.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------