Re: Fedora seems to be connected to the Internet... but it's not.

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 19:10 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Seth writes:
>
> > So, I just installed Fedora 12 onto a current model 15" MacBook Pro, and
> > it's connected to the local network just fine, but I'm having a little
> > trouble with the Internet. I can download new applications from the
> > repositories, so I AM on the Internet, but it appears that the only
> > website I can visit is Fedora's website. I cleared the cache and tried
> > again and could still go to
> > <URL:http://fedoraproject.com>fedoraproject.com, but if I try to go to any
> > other website, Firefox tells me I'm not connected to the Internet. I'm not
> > an expert at Linux, so I would like to stay away from the command line if
> > at all possible.
>
> I see two possibilities:
>
> 1) You are not connected to the Internet. When Firefox detects that there is
> no network connection, it will serve pages that it previously cached, out of
> its cache, but when you try to load a page that it has not cached, it will
> tell you that you're not online.
>
> 2) Firefox is not correctly detecting your network status, and falls back to
> offline mode, leading to #1. From the "File" menu, uncheck "Work offline",
> then try to browse to www.cnn.com, www.yahoo.com, www.foxnews.com, any page
> that you have not visited yet.

In relation to (2), Firefox detects it's online by asking
NetworkManager. If NM thinks it's not online, that's what FF believes.
NM will say it's not online when it's not managing the interface, even
when the interface actually *is* online. The solution is to check the
appropriate box in system-config-network.

poc