Re: change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

On 02/20/2010 04:14 PM, stefan riemens wrote:
> I use plain and simple dd from a livecd for this purpose.. Make sure
> you get the devices correct though! After dd has finished, you can use
> gparted to grow you partitions (or system-config-lvm in case of lvm).
> Alternatively, if you want to rearrange your partitions, you could
> create a partition table seperately, and then copy individual
> partiations over using dd. For that to work however, I suspect you
> need to make sure you only have a partition table, rather then
> complete filesystems.
>
> Good luck!
> Stefan

DD is the slow way to do it - it has to copy every byte, and can not
change partition size on the fly. That is why there are tools like
g4l and parted. While dd will work, it is not the best tool for the job.

Mikkel
--
A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?