screen brightness - full brightness on battery not possible ?

 On my laptop - when I switch to battery the screen dims less than when
I am plugged in.

 Sometimes I need to get the brightness up full - but I cannot find a
control to do this that has any effect while on battery power.

 Things I've tried -

    1) in power applet, battery tab - unclick the "Reduce Backlight' button

    2) Added the screen brightness applet - but it only dims it more it
has now setting to make it brighter than it is already

    3) laptop hardware brightness - it is set to full as well.

 So the max brightness with battery is 20% less than max brightness
plugged in. I get the battery saving idea - but its my battery and there
are times I need the full brightness of my screen ...

 I'm using nouveau driver with f12 fully updated.

 Any hints how to do this ?

 Oh yeh - gnome.

   Thanks for help!

gene