How do I get digital audio out to my headphones?

As I already said, the only sound I can get at the present time is
analog sound on my computer. I suppose my HD TV doesn't accept analog
sound, at least not through an HDMI cable. But, if I plug headphones
in my computer, then the video card and the S/PDIF wire are not
involved.

Shouldn't digital audio come out on the computer if I select digital
audio in pulseaudio, you know, right clicking the speaker in the top
panel and selecting the digital output in "hardware"?

Also, remember that alsamixer defaults to Card: PulseAudio, Chip:
PulseAudio, with only a setting for Master, which is the same as the
sound setting in the top panel. If I press F6, I have:

.   (default)
0  HDA ATI SB
    Enter device name

In (default), I have only a setting for Master, which relates to the
setting I make with the speaker icon in the top panel bar.

The correct entry should be HDA ATI SB, as my sound card is an
integrated Sound Blaster, chip Realtek ALC888. Is it OK if it doesn't
show as default? Should Pulseaudio really be the default? This is, at
best, rather confusing. If the default should be HDA ATI SB, how to I
change this?

In "0  HDA ATI SB", I have the same "Master entry". The "Headphone" is
enabled but set to 00 and there's no way to change this.

There are settings there for:

S/PDIF
S/PDIF Default PCM

Both are enabled, or unmuted, if you prefer. Both are set to 0 and
it's impossible to change this setting.

Are those settings correct? How do I get digital audio out of my
computer? If I should normally get digital audio out of my headphones,
Nvidia doesn't seem involved in this.

There was a bug report for "no sound" Fedora 12 rawhide, but it was
supposed that kernel 2.6.30 fixed the problem. Was the problem really
fixed?