radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

Hi --

Since i upgraded 2 machines to fc12 they have been experiences strange
zebra like lines on parts of their screens. I found a reference to
this type of problem which
encouraged using kernel option nomodeset. The zebra like lines seem to
have gone, but now there are checker board images in some areas.

Any other options I could try to fix this? I'd be happy as a clam if
it just worked right, no 3d, just a good snappy screen.

thanks much,

-- Gary