Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 01:13 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nobody asked YOU. It was a question directed specifically to me (and I
> wouldn't recommend a card which requires proprietary drivers).

Kevin, on a public list, others are allowed and encouraged to chime in
with their opinions!

> FWIW, these days the Free drivers have full support for all the Radeons up
> to HD 4xxx (r7xx), on any interface: PCI-Express, AGP, PCI.

I disagree. As I posted earlier in this thread, my 9200 (rv280) does
*not* work with the current drivers. Booting with KMS I get 2D and 3D
that are both so slow they are unusable for many tasks (even watching a
low resolution video pins the CPU and drops more frames than it plays).
Booting with UMS I get good speed, but random X crashes - and 3D will
almost always completely freeze the computer. I end up having to reboot
just so I can, say, run Google Earth for a couple minutes, then reboot
again to continue with what I was doing before.

I don't call that "full support". I call that "totally broken".

The really sad part is that this card used to work great for both 2D and
3D. It has gotten progressively worse over the last few Fedora releases.
I look forward to the day I can actually use my computer for the things
I would like to use it for (and used to use it for) - but frankly I'm
not holding my breath.

While I would love to see a working OSS driver for my card, I would
happily settle for a proprietary one. OSS is nice but having my computer
work properly trumps that.