Re: What driives me crazy about bugzilla [Making Progress]

On 5 February 2010 15:35, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 01:29 +0000, Sam Sharpe wrote:
>> On 4 February 2010 14:55, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Yes....  But, I think, is where the confusion came in.
>> >
>> > Even without the sftp.service file F11 would indicate sftp service
>> > availability.  But, in both F11 and F12 there does exist a ssh.service
>> > file.  So, apparently, the F11 client would presume that sftp service is
>> > also available since that is the same port as ssh.  Now, it seems the
>> > F12 GNOME client only displays sftp if it is explicitly indicated in the
>> > response.
>>
>> In theory, you could almost "assume" that the SSH service being
>> available, meant SFTP was available as it's pretty unusual to disable
>> SFTP transfers via SSH. That may have been the old behaviour of Gnome
>> in F11.
>>
>> However, the "correct" behaviour is not to make assumptions and only
>> show the services that are advertised.

> But doewsn't the ssh.service filwe cause an ssh service to be
> advertised. Why is that noot sufficient to cause the fedora icons to be
> shown in Places->Network?

Because SSH is a method of connecting to a server which also allows
data transfer - but it's possible to have SSH enabled, but not enable
SFTP - which means the Gnome VFS module that handles transferring
files over SSH wouldn't work as it relies on SFTP.

I'm guessing Gnome has therefore chosen to only show things in
Places->Network that are definitely methods of file transfer, hence
will only show if SFTP is advertised as a service. It's very
confusing, but I don't know how they could make this more obvious - it
took me at least 30 minutes of digging into Avahi to realise what it
was doing and I have the luxury of being on a huge network with a
large variety of machines - at which point the pattern of what shows
up and what doesn't is much more apparent. If you've got a small
homogenous network, noticing and debugging what's going on would be
much harder (I couldn't work it out on my home network, which is a
couple of Fedora machines and an Apple Laptop.)

--
Sam